The Democratic National Committee’s Tech Team is hiring a Data Scientist to help us provide candidates and state parties a set of product that will optimize their voter contact programs. The Tech Team works closely with campaigns up and down the ballot to provide them the tools and data they need to win.
Who we are:
The Tech Team is a small, diverse team that provides technology, datasets, and data products used by candidates and organizers in all 50 states and in all 3,413 counties across the United States. The Tech Team’s efforts directly give support to analyze data, organize campaigns, define targets, raise money, and get out the vote on Election Day.
We are building a team geared to take on the biggest challenges. So we are hiring analysts, product managers, engineers, researchers, designers, security experts, IT professionals, client support, and data scientists who can use user-centered design and rapid iteration to develop a rich technology ecosystem for progressives – building tools ourselves as well as partnering with other companies and organizations.
We’re focused on equipping candidates and campaigns around the country with the data and analytics resources they need to win, and are looking for Data Scientists with a diverse range of backgrounds and skill sets to help us tackle numerous projects.
You will be part of the DNC’s Data Team and will focus on both 1) the near-term operational efficiency of the DNC, state parties, and candidates and 2) the long-range development of groundbreaking products for the progressive ecosystem at large.
Among other things, in this role you could help us:
- Audit and improve our existing data science products and pipelines. Help us continue building upon and improving our models, the pipelines that produce them, and other data science products we provide.
- Build new predictive models for more efficient voter outreach. In cases where a new model is needed, help leverage our existing data and identify new data sources to create new and better predictions.
- Analyze historical data to improve current programs. Use data from past cycles and programs to help campaigns run the best possible programs moving forward.
- Identify opportunities to develop new tools and products that help Democrats fully leverage data in their decision-making. Work on better understanding the end users of Democratic data and building the tools that best meet their needs. Help us think about how we can make data, analytics, and data science products more impactful and accessible to the campaigns that rely on them.
- Design and analyze experiments that will help the party run efficient programs going forward. Help us improve how campaigns find and reach the right voters across all of their programs; how they define and measure success across outreach efforts; and how we set up systems to be able to continually test assumptions.
- Have experience doing data science or statistics in a social sciences context, which may include electoral politics.
- Feel comfortable with R (and/or Python) and SQL.
- Have experience with predictive modeling, statistical inference, and/or experiment design.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills, and experience explaining technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences. You won’t just be building data science products, but you’ll be helping us ensure our diverse users trust them and know how to use them for their individual needs.
- Are curious, collaborative, and humble – ready to work with a diverse, distributed team to solve interesting problems together.
Do you want to…
- Secure the future of our country?Right now a lot is at stake in our country and our team has a huge opportunity to make a real difference.
- Work with amazing people? We’re building a diverse, distributed team, hiring the best people we can wherever they are—alumni from past Presidential campaigns working out of DC and New York, experienced product developers from the SF Bay Area, and more.
- Never stop learning?There are people who know about politics and people who know about technology and a few who have figured out some things about how to combine the two, but we are blazing a lot of new trails and you should be comfortable exploring and learning from everyone you can.
You can work from our headquarters in Washington, D.C.; with a concentration of folks in the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, or Chicago; or remotely from wherever you are. We’re definitely looking for someone with a few years of relevant work experience but we don’t require previous experience in politics. If you are coming from industry, however, be aware that some things are different in the world of politics: while we’ve done some budget hacking so we can be competitive when it comes to salaries we know we can’t beat Google or Facebook.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
How To Apply:
Apply using the link in Custom Application URL
- Specific Job Location USA
- Salary Offer To be arranged
- Experience Level 1-2-years, 3-5-years, 5-8-years
- Education Level not-required
- Working Hours To be arranged
- Closing Date December 19, 2018
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page