Deputy Editorial Director
Remote in the US
DEPUTY EDITORIAL DIRECTOR, COLORLINES
Report To: Senior Editorial Director, Colorlines
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $89,000-$91,000
About Race Forward
Race Forward’s mission is to build awareness, solutions, and leadership for racial justice by generating transformative ideas, information, and experiences. We define racial justice as the systematic fair treatment of people of all races, resulting in equitable opportunities and outcomes for all. We work to advance racial justice through media, research, and leadership development.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward. With increased capacity as a joined organization, Race Forward catalyzes community, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial inequity and create equitable outcomes for all.
The Deputy Editorial Director produces daily content for the website and is the Senior Editorial Director’s right hand and second in command. From monitoring the news cycle, to managing the workflow, to writing and editing copy, to tracking reporter progress, to assisting with long-term editorial planning, the Deputy Editorial Director helps to keep the digital wheels turning.
- 70% Monitoring news cycle, editing daily staff- and freelancer-contributed content including news and some features, approving pitches, working through story ideas that view news through the lens of racial justice and center people of color, homepage decision-making
- 10% Writing one daily post
- 15% Administrative tasks, supervising contributors, establishing a team atmosphere, performance evaluation, reviewing budget, working with social engagement manager, working with editorial assistant to create and manage systems, contributing to grant and donor development efforts and various publishing-related activities
- 5% Site maintenance and planning
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in print, digital or broadcast journalism and/or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years reporting experience or equivalent
- 7+ years’ experience editing short and long-form storytelling
- Working familiarity with AP style
- Hands-on experience with a CMS such as Drupal
- This position requires long periods of time at a desk and on a computer
How To Apply:
Please submit cover letter, resume, writing samples, and pre-screen questionnaire answers all in one file. Please save the file as First Name Last Name_Colorlines Deputy Editorial Director_Date Received.pdf (ie: John Doe_Colorlines Deputy Editorial Director_11_18_19.pdf). In the subject line, please put First Name LastName-Colorlines Deputy Editorial Director.
- Desired salary
- Availability to start
- Please submit link to your portfolio or website and attach two-three writing samples that relate to racial justice or social justice landscape.
- Why do you want to work at Race Forward?
- Why are you the best candidate for this position?
- Please include your interview availability during the week (day and/or time preferences)
- Specific Job Location in the US remotely
- Salary Offer $89,000-$91,000
- Experience Level Senior Level
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree
- Working Hours To Be Arranged
- Closing Date December 30, 2019
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page