Creative Commons is building a “front door” to the commons from the ground up. We need a talented team of engineers to design and build systems to index over 1.2 billion works into a catalog that will fuel a usable and vibrant commons, enable new research and services, and foster discovery and collaboration.
This project will unite billions of records for openly-licensed and public domain works and metadata, across multiple platforms, diverse media types, and a variety of user communities and partners. It’s a difficult but rewarding problem for an inspired and creative team. We want to build this product with a small dev team as part of an open community, and create something useful, delightful, and essential to the work of creators, educators, scientists, cultural institutions, and our partners. We’re building shared infrastructure for the global commons.
As our front end engineer you can be part of this exciting project in an early stage. You will help design, build, test, and release our software infrastructure, and collaborate with users, contributors, and partners around the world. Imagine all the possibilities!
This is a rare opportunity to collaborate in an organization that is fundamental to sharing online, working at a global scale. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in this high-priority project.
We believe that diverse teams build better organizations and better services. Applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including those from under-represented communities, are VERY welcome.
The front end engineer reports to the Director of Product Engineering and will ideate, design and implement great experiences and interfaces for our global users and partners.
The front end engineer is responsible for:
- Providing an usable, human-centered, accessible perspective to our code and products
- Designing, testing and building user interfaces and experiences that will make the commons more accessible and usable.
- Working in the open, contributing code and engaging in public repositories, open chat rooms, and public wiki with our global community
- Provide technical opinions within various open communities, working with CC partners.
- Collaborate with other outside communities, companies, and institutions to further Creative Commons’ mission.
- Keen eye for designing usable and accessible and delightful human-facing interfaces and user experiences. You’ve done user testing, and have experience designing and coding user interfaces for consumer-grade tools.
- Able to seamlessly design or modify graphic elements and implement them in code
- Knowledge of Vue.js or similar (React, Angular) preferred but not required
- Familiarity with content and data licensing a plus, but not required
- Desire to work in a diverse, global, open, and highly collaborative team environment
Creative Commons is a leading non-profit employer, offering competitive salaries and benefits, including health and wellness plans, annual retirement contributions, and a positive, supportive work environment. The salary range for this position is $80K – 100K USD (or equivalent).
Work Environment and Location
Creative Commons is a distributed organization. This position is available to applicants working in the range of the Eastern to Pacific time zones, in a remote working environment. You must have reasonable mobility for necessary travel, and high-speed broadband access. Laptop/desktop computer and necessary resources are supplied. Some travel is required for, among other things, face-to-face meetings and the annual CC Summit.
How To Apply:
Please email your resume as a PDF to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject heading of “Front End Engineer / [Last Name].” No phone calls, please. No recruiters.
- Specific Job Location Eastern to Pacific Time Zones
- Salary Offer To be arranged
- Experience Level 1-2-years, 3-5-years, 5-8-years, 8-10-years
- Education Level not-required
- Working Hours To be arranged
- Closing Date January 15, 2019
- Job Application Via Employer Email