Company Website: https://www.quora.com/
Remote Locations: Worldwide
Job Type: Full Time
- Software Engineer – Full Stack (Developer Tools)
- Remote – Anywhere
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a “remote-first” company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people’s heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge, and we’re building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Our small engineering team works on challenging problems every day. We have a culture that’s rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. Using continuous deployment, we quickly see our changes in the product and make fast iterations. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. As an engineering team, Quora also highly values development velocity, and invests heavily in improvements to tools, abstractions, and frameworks to empower developers to move faster and achieve more with a lean team. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.
About the Role:
The Product Platform team is focused on making product developers (product engineers, designers, data scientists) more productive, by building tools, frameworks and abstractions that make developers’ life easier. This team’s projects range from building library of reusable UI components, improving frontend debugging tools, making code deploy faster, to optimizing site performance. Recently, this team led large-scale migration of Quora’s legacy frontend system to React, GraphQL and Relay, and there is plenty of interesting and impactful challenges to improve our frontend frameworks and systems in this modern architecture.
- Develop, maintain and build tools that make product developers (engineers, designers, data scientists) more efficient
- Contribute to building and maintaining reusable UI components used by product developers at Quora
- Participate in migration of Quora’s product codebase to modern frontend technology
- Understand developer pain points and common questions, and aim to improve or answer them
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora’s “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field, or a completion of coding bootcamp.
- Experience working with React, GraphQL, and databases on large-scale coding projects, including work that you may have done during a bootcamp experience or on your own.
- A passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience and strong interest in building tools to support other developers, or client-side performance. This may include contributions to open source projects.
- Love of learning and the Quora product
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How To Apply:
Click “apply” below to process your Job application!
- Specific Job Location Anywhere
- Salary Offer to be discussed
- Experience Level Entry Level
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree
- Working Hours Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time)
- Closing Date September 24, 2020
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page