Company Website: https://canonical.com/
Remote Locations: Americas (North & Latin America)
Job Type: Full Time
Canonical and Ubuntu are at the forefront of cloud and IoT computing, helping customers master the challenge of operations on hybrid cloud, bare metal, and container-based systems. Our Graduate Field Software Engineers are at the heart of this process, demonstrating, designing and delivering exciting solutions to a range of customers, from startups to Fortune 500s.
If travelling around the globe and working with some of the smartest people in the industry sounds appealing, and if you like to dig into the code, Canonical might be the place you are looking for!
DAY IN THE LIFE
If there is one word to describe every day at Canonical, it’s learning. Dynamic technologies lead to dynamic environments. Most of us work from home and that brings a perk of defining our own schedule and working hours. Everybody dictates their own pace and works in the environment that works best for them. When we are not with customers, we let our imagination shine. This is when we use our coding skills to improve the products and tools that we deliver to our customers.
Being a very spread out company, we don’t get to share office space, but every now and then we meet somewhere in the world and have a great time. This is when our diversity really shines. Come join us and enrich our diversity even more!
Canonical’s Field Software Engineering division is unique in its approach with customers: we engage early on in the pre-sales process and remain engaged throughout the delivery phase. This approach creates exciting dynamics in which one is involved in various customer facing processes; going to sales events and providing engineering support to the sales team, designing solutions for customers and in the end implementing those solutions.
This requires unique skills, both technical and non-technical. TCP/IP networking, libvirt/KVM virtualization and core Linux operating system skills are a must-have in the course of discussing detailed architecture, designing complex solutions and guiding customers to successful infrastructure operations. Most of our team’s solutions are based on OpenStack, Kubernetes, and Ubuntu; therefore the ideal Graduate Field Software Engineer has interest and experience with one or more of these. If you have experience or are willing to learn about LXD, Snaps, MAAS, Juju and Ubuntu, this team is the best starting point.
- GPA 3.0 or higher (U.S. graduates)
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related engineering field
- Experience in Python and/or Golang programming
- Experience with Docker/Containers
- Experience with source control (Git, Github, Launchpad preferred)
- Experience with Virtualisation (KVM/libvirt)
- Knowledge of network protocols (TCP/IP, DHCP, PXE, IPMI, etc)
- Knowledge and experience of REST API(s)
- Experience with Linux (Ubuntu/Debian preferable)
- Excellent communication skills and presentability
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Interest in customer-facing engagement, including pitching, demonstrating and understanding customer environment and needs
- Ability to travel globally for periods up to two weeks (once is it is safe to resume travel); overall 25% travel time
- Advantage is given to those that are fluent in any language besides English
How To Apply:
Click “apply” below to process your Job application!
- Specific Job Location Americas
- Salary Offer to be discussed
- Experience Level Mid Level
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree
- Working Hours to be arranged (full time based )
- Closing Date August 31, 2020
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page