Company Website: http://basecamp.com/
Remote Locations: Worldwide
Job Type: Full Time
We have two rare openings on our Core Product team for Rails programmers. We’ll be accepting applications for the next two weeks, aiming for a flexible start date in October.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. This is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective and we’re eager to further diversify our company. Basecamp is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career. We aren’t looking for ideological clones, but for people who share our beliefs about writing software well.
About the Job
As a programmer on the Core team, you’ll work on shaped projects, big & small, over six-week cycles, typically in tandem with a designer. We’re a small team (just three programmers and three designers) and we work quickly but calmly. You’ll join us, and be responsible for driving projects from concept to completion in an environment of autonomy and creativity.
- Building out a subscription system to allow for free trials, upgrades, credit card payments, cancellations, and everything else needed to launch a new product
- Creating an email export system using the MBOX format, ensuring that even large mailboxes can be exported efficiently
- Designing a global document browser for convenient access to every mail attachment from every sender, filterable and ordered by recency
- Revising our billing system to charge EU VAT where applicable, from payment flows and invoices to internal APIs and support tooling
- Blocking activity trackers and spy-pixels in incoming mail using a variety of techniques, including image and asset proxying for broad protection
- Collaborating with the Android and iOS teams on cross-cutting and platform-specific features
- Investigating and fixing a race condition when processing incoming email that’s resulting in random duplicate entries
You might have a Computer Science degree or you might not. That’s not what we’re looking for. We care about what you can do and how you do it, not about how you got here. A history of conscientious, thoughtful work speaks volumes.
You’re a Manager of One. A committed generalist, eager learner, and curator of the essential. You take ownership and you see things through. You can take a stand yet commit even when you disagree. This is a challenging position for a senior-level programmer, but imposters take heart; we are too.
You’re a clear writer. The bulk of our work is written, from the code and interfaces we design, to the pull request discussions and long-form proposals we make. Effective, concise writing leads to effective, concise code.
Basecamp is a remote-first company, and this is a remote job. We’re hiring from anywhere that can maintain 3-4 hours overlap with the US-Central Time zone during a normal working day. This might been a 11:00-19:00 schedule from Europe, but we’re not hiring from locations that require a graveyard shift to make the overlap happen.
How To Apply:
Click “apply” below to process you Job application!
- Specific Job Location Anywhere
- Salary Offer $186,850
- Experience Level Senior Level
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree
- Working Hours can maintain 3-4 hours overlap with the US Central Time Zone during normal working day
- Closing Date August 19, 2020
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page