Company Website: https://www.sie.com/
Remote Locations: USA, UK or Canada
Job Type: Full Time
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Facial Modeler
Once we’re back in the studio this position can be based onsite in San Diego or Los Angeles, or fully remote from anywhere in the USA, Canada and UK.
PlayStation’s Visual Arts Group on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development, and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies!
We are looking for a Blendshape Artist/Facial Modeler to come aboard and work in conjunction with our riggers, the Animation Supervisor and the Character Supervisor to bring highly-realistic faces to life for both cinematic and in-game sequences. You will work with our multi-award-winning team while working with AAA Worldwide Studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, San Diego Studio, Guerrilla Games, and more!
If you’re someone who pays attention to detail, has an eye for minute differences in facial movements, and one of “those” artists comfortable making facial expressions in the mirror… We want to talk to you!
- The Blendshape Artist will be responsible for bringing highly realistic faces to life for both cinematic and in-game sequences
- This person will make the final tweaks to the topology edge-flow and determine the final positioning and refinement to key assets such as eyes, teeth, tongue, and eyelashes
- When the model face is finalized the artist will sculpt a full array of naturalistic FACs and corrective blendshapes for expressive photorealistic humans
- Sculpting a series of high-resolution wrinkle maps to add a final level of polish and nuance to the expressions
- Work closely with the external clients, internal artists, and outsourcing partners to keep quality and style consistent across all characters
- Create and lead others in the creation of photo-realistic humans, with particular attention to advanced facial modeling and expression modeling
- Lead and mentor both internal character teams and outsourcing partners to reach aesthetic and technical goals
- Create documentation, communicate requirements, and provide feedback to internal artists and outsourcing partners
- Constantly and proactively seek to improve the production processes, tools, and pipelines for character creation, rigging and animation, and rendering
- At least 5 years of professional character art experience in high-end 3D games and/or films with at least 1 published title or movie
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Solid grasp of realistic human anatomy with special emphasis on the head/face
- Strong understanding of Maya and basic understanding/use of blend shapes
- Experience with facial rigging of any kind as well as sculpting in Zbrush, Mudbox, etc.
- Comfortable making facial expressions in the mirror and ideally capable of isolating different expressions/actions in the face
- Must have extreme attention to detail and an eye for minute differences/movements in the face
- The ability to grasp technical concepts at least from a broad perspective and follow technical workflows while pushing the artistic limit
- Self-manage and keep track of progress and troubleshoot technical issues with Maya
- Brainstorm ideas that keep in mind the overall goals of the project
- Experience with facial blend shape workflows on realistic humans
- Expert understanding of human anatomy
- Versed in Facial Action Coding System
- Experience with Blendshape Combination System plug-in
- Experience with Perforce
How To Apply:
Click “apply” below to process your Job application!
- Specific Job Location USA, UK or Canada
- Salary Offer to be discussed
- Experience Level Mid Level, Senior Level
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree
- Working Hours to be arranged (full time based)
- Closing Date June 18, 2021
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page