(Work Remotely from anywhere in the World)
United Nations Office for Project Services – UNOPS
- Partner: GEF STAP
- Job categories: Communications
- Vacancy code: VA/2019/B5002/17937
- Level: ICS-10
- Department/office: ECR, EOC, Water and Energy Cluster
- Duty station: Home based
- Contract type: International ICA
- Contract level: IICA-2
- Duration: 10-12 months
Application deadline: 10-Jul-2019
*Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.*
Background Information – Job-specific
This Vacancy Announcement is being published by the Water & Energy Cluster, UNOPS on behalf of the GEF STAP
The Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel (STAP) provides objective scientific and technical advice to the Global Environment Facility (GEF) on its policies, strategies, and programs, on issues such as biodiversity, climate change mitigation, climate adaptation, chemicals and waste, land degradation, and international waters. This advice takes a variety of forms, including formal guidance, advice, information notes, policy briefs, and assessments
Advice needs to be clear, well-written and easily understood by the target audience of government officials, UN organizations, environmental NGOs, and multilateral development banks, as well as being accessible to non-specialists.
The job of the Science Editor is to deliver advice which meets this standard, maintaining the technical substance while improving the clarity of the text, and overall style.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
The consultant will undertake the following tasks –
- Use excellent writing skills to improve the text.
- Liaise with the STAP Secretariat on questions about technical substance.
- Improve the formatting and style, including formatting references according to the Harvard Referencing system, or another agreed system, to ensure consistent citation and referencing.
- Provide a revised draft to the STAP Secretariat by the agreed deadline, in two separate files, with track changes, and a clean copy.
- Address comments provided by the STAP Secretariat, and submit the revised document to the STAP Secretariat by the agreed deadline.
- The individual will report to the STAP Secretary.
- Advanced university degree (Masters degree or equivalent) in international environmental policy, communications, or a related field, is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Demonstrated professional competence in the environmental and sustainable development field, including excellent written communications skills, extensive experience (more than 5 years) with editing and proofreading technical documents, and ability to prepare high-quality written reports in English.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
Contract type, level and duration:
- Contract type: Retainer, International Individual Contract Agreement
Contract level: ICS-10/IICA-2:
- Contract duration: 10-12 months
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
How To Apply:
Click on the Apply button below to process a job application for this position.
- Salary Offer To be discussed
- Experience Level 5-8 Years, 8-10 Years, 10+ Years
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree
- Working Hours To be discussed
- Closing Date July 10, 2019
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page