The University of Cincinnati Cancer Institute is seeking a part-time (40% FTE, 16 hours per week) Sr. Database Administrator for the following:
Essential Function: Under general supervision from a designated administrator, responsible for integrating systems, creating, modifying or developing databases to include set-up and monitor tables, indexes, views, triggers, table spaces, fragmentation issues, monitoring processes, referential integrity, security, performance tuning and sizing.
- Structure and implement (moderate to highly complex) databases to optimize data access and security;
- Design database systems and programs which include access methods, access time, file structure, device allocation, validation checks, and statistical methods;
- Work with user community to understand data access and integration needs; support client/server database access tools; provide consultation to programmers on relational database design;
- Ensure the integration of systems through the database structure; ensure data and its sources are accurate and easily accessible to the user community; develop assigned databases to support specific applications; conducts file maintenance, set-up and monitor tables, indexes, views, triggers, table spaces, fragmentation issues, monitoring processes, referential integrity, security, performance tuning and sizing;
- Monitor database standards and procedures, systems usage and performance; troubleshoot and resolve database problems; conduct virus avoidance procedures; oversee vendor software fault resolution; develop benchmarks for testing new software releases; completes database upgrades and patch maintenance;
- Monitor, analyze, and verify data to ensure data integrity; run checks on data integrity; maintain data security and integrity by developing system access standards and procedures;
- Maintain the database archives by acquiring and installing data sets and documentation; design data storage capacity to provide for efficient and timely response and operating time; calculate data storage media and cost alternatives; specify sources and methods of data storage; manage database organization and data storage; plan for efficient allocation of system storage capacity; develop system backup and archival methodology; develop and administer disaster recovery plans;
- Assist in data transfers or sharing of files; assist in development of policies and procedures to access or interact with remote resources;
- Position may also develop specifications and requirements for the optimal integration of systems which may include applications, databases, networks, and related systems.
- Install, structure, tune, and maintain database management systems and software on mainframe and/or mini-computers;
- Serves as an expert resource to others; serve on committees and projects;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, or a relevant degree and two (2) years related experience -OR- a Bachelor’s degree with four (4) years’ experience -OR- an Associate’s degree with six (6) years’ experience; -OR- eight (8) years’ experience. Experience and/or training include advanced level experience and possesses broad and deep knowledge of own area and related areas and contributes through advanced knowledge, skill and experience.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.
How To Apply:
Apply using the link in Custom Application URL
- Specific Job Location Cincinnati, OH
- Salary Offer To be arranged
- Experience Level 1-2-years, 3-5-years, 5-8-years, 8-10-years, 10-years
- Education Level Master's Degree
- Working Hours (40% FTE, 16 hours per week)
- Closing Date January 13, 2019
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page