Currently, we are not set up to support remote employees from CA, NY, WA or outside the continental US. All applicants must have a US work visa.
Spreedly is an API based payments company headquartered in Durham, NC. We are a stable, growth stage start up with a team that enjoys working together and is remote friendly and inclusive. Our culture is based around our dedication to a meaningful work/life balance, and our commitment to that is reflected in the way we’ve structured the company, as well as the benefits and perks that we offer employees.
Our list of “amazing functionality that customers will happily pay us for if we can just get it implemented…” is growing faster than we can check things off, and we need help from an experienced engineer that can hop into a high-functioning, experienced team and start learning and contributing quickly.
When you start at Spreedly (think first 6-12 months), you’ll be spending 90%+ of your time working right on the product team building functionality for customers. Building product at Spreedly is a bit unique in that our main product is a payments API used by other developers. So “designing a UI” often means thinking through how YOU would want a given API to work if you were using it, and “adding a feature for a customer” often means working through how to securely enable a developer to do something interesting with a credit card number. Super challenging and fun, we think! And since we work with credit card data on a daily basis, thinking about security is a way of life at Spreedly, as is building sustainable processes to keep that information safe (and our auditors happy).
What we’re looking for in a senior engineer is somebody who’s excited by jumping into pretty complex technical problems and making sense of them. We regularly deal with encryption, encoding, and security, all within the context of a distributed system. You don’t have to be an expert in any of those aspects, but you should be really open to learning about them. Once you’ve gotten your feet under you and understand the domain well enough, we envision you being the technical lead for one aspect of our service. In particular, this means we’d like you to mentor junior engineers and help them tackle the task at hand using pragmatic software practices. We’re looking for people that are good at their job who are also are interested in elevating the people around them.
- A track record of delivering well-crafted software
- A willingness to be a generalist and the curiosity to try new things you’ve never done before
- Excitement about building products for Spreedly’s customers, who are primarily businesses doing commerce and their developers who are using our API’s and toolkits
- Excellent written communication skills, and a willingness to use them to document your work as necessary
- The ability to operate autonomously, sorting your own immediate priorities out of the ever-shifting needs of a startup environment
- Confidence in your ability to learn new tech as necessary. Today we work primarily with Ruby, Rails, Elixir, Phoenix, Riak, Kafka, Postgres, Redis, and Linux … but are always pragmatically evaluating new languages and tools
- Remote employees must be able to travel to our Durham office once a quarter for “All Hands” and team meetings
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits (we pay 100% of monthly premiums for employees + families with low yearly deductibles)
- Life and Long-Term Disability benefits
- Open PTO policy
- Open sick days
- Full-time remote employment
- Flexible work schedules
- 12 weeks paid Family Leave for all employees
- Company sponsored 401k
- Yearly paid professional development for all employees
- Tues./Thurs. in-office days (for local peeps) – the rest of the week employees are free to work wherever they choose
- Paid lunches on in-office days for local employees
We have a remote friendly culture at Spreedly. At our headquarters in Durham, NC, local employees only come into the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the rest of the week we work from home. We also have a number of full-time remote folks located in different areas of the country, so we’re well set up to support our remote team. That being said, because this position requires a great deal of autonomy, we’d like for candidates to have had experience working in a remote environment.
It’s very important to us to have the fairest and most productive hiring process possible. We want to ensure that every candidate is treated equally and our interactions are designed with that goal in mind. If you want to get a sense for what your application process will look like, we’d encourage you to read the following: Stop Hazing Your Potential Hires and Programming Puzzles Are Not the Answer.
If this at all sounds interesting, we’d love to hear from you!
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse culture as it’s an accurate reflection of the larger community and world in which we live. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples and structured interviews.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does- handling payment data- candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later- we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.
How To Apply:
Apply using the link in Custom Application URL
- Specific Job Location US
- Salary Offer To be arranged
- Experience Level 1-2-years, 3-5-years, 5-8-years
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree
- Working Hours To be arranged
- Closing Date December 28, 2018
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page