- Providing custom design and development, digital product planning, documentation, and training to independent news media clients and members.
- Building open source tools to solve their needs for growth and support reporting, revenue generation, and public engagement.
- Working with innovative partners such as NPR Digital, Knight News Lab, and the Trust Project to make easily adopted publisher tools on a network scale.
- Advancing and supporting 50+ news websites using Largo, the WordPress theme for publishers which we design, build, and maintain.
- Serving as a lead solutions architect of INN Labs’ publishing tools, WordPress framework, and large-scale projects to ensure they reflect and meet industry and client goals.
- Managing the technical infrastructure for INN’s technology projects.
- Having a strong voice and say in INN’s overall technology strategy.
- Understanding client/member journalism and business goals and framing technology tools and product solutions and projects that meet them.
- Delivering performant and well-documented code on time and on budget.
- Guiding newsrooms and media business staff to find and implement the tools and strategies that best advance their goals, including those created by INN Labs and developers at INN member organizations.
- Supporting other team members with code reviews, knowledge shares, and direct mentorship.
- Supporting independent news media by serving as a thought leader on emerging technologies and best practices for news technology. This may include occasional posting in the INN Labs blog, presenting at news/tech conferences, and contributing to newsletters.
- Several years of professional experience in web development, ideally in an agency or news industry setting. Experience with nonprofit business models is also helpful.
- Strong communication skills. Ability to draw out business and editorial goals and deliver the best solutions to reach them.
- Proven commitment to writing clean, well-documented code.
- Strong front-end development skills (HTML/CSS/JS).
- Knowledge of and experience with the full LAMP stack with a particular focus on PHP and MySQL.
- Experience developing for WordPress including themes, plugins (WooCommerce, for example) and WordPress multisite.
- Knowledge of how to interact with APIs, especially the WordPress REST API.
- Experience with git and deployment tools.
- Commitment to openness and sharing/writing/talking about your work.
- Curiosity and the willingness to learn, adapt and teach.
- Experience writing end-user documentation and explaining complex technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Agile web development experience.
- Experience with or interest in learning React.
- Stakeholder-facing project management and/or product management experience.
- WordPress core contributor and/or active involvement in the WordPress developer community.
How To Apply:
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: A brief resume/portfolio, 3 projects you’re especially proud of (links to projects, your GitHub repo, etc.), and a cover letter (in an email, no attachments please) answering the following: 1. Why is this job the perfect fit for you? 2. How has your previous experience prepared you for this position? 3. Why are you excited to join INN, and our team, in particular?
- Specific Job Location USA
- Salary Offer To be arranged
- Experience Level 1-2-years, 3-5-years, 5-8-years
- Education Level not-required
- Working Hours To be arranged
- Closing Date February 4, 2019
- Job Application Via Employer Email