WordPress Engineer (Remote)
Work Remotely from anywhere in North America (US/Canada)
Kanopi Studios is a Design, Development & Support Agency with a fully distributed team of 45 people who are experts in WordPress & Drupal.
We design, build, and support websites for clients who want to make a positive impact.
All done with craftsmanship, a bit of whimsy, and the desire for a better web.
As our business continues to grow rapidly, so does our team. We’re excited to announce this opportunity to join our team as a WordPress Engineer.
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Anne Stefanyk, CEO/Founder
It was the love of the open-source community and the direct need she saw for an agency focused around customer success that drove Anne to build Kanopi.
She envisioned Kanopi’s workplace to be a place where the clients and employees alike would feel connected and supported. A place where she could feel 100% confident that every detail of every project would be covered. She imagined a place where all who engaged with Kanopi would feel surprised and delighted by the day-to-day operations.
With that vision in mind, Kanopi Studios was born. Kanopi Studios is now a team of 45 people, where 95% of our business comes from word of mouth and referrals. Kanopi is about good work with good people creating a better web for everyone.
At Kanopi, we believe a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and voices make for a better workplace. We strongly and enthusiastically encourage people of color, individuals who identify within and beyond the LGBTQ+ spectrum, women, and people with disabilities to apply.
As a WordPress Engineer your day-to-day includes working closely with your project managers and technical leads; responding to support tickets, running updates and doing site configuration; creating and maintaining custom themes, plugins, and documentation; and being a resource for your peers. You will be developing and maintaining sites while keeping yourself accountable to schedules, estimates, project requirements, and high standards of quality. This position is fast-paced, deals with shifting priorities, and reports to Katherine White, CTO.
Your typical work week might include:
- Building and supporting a wide variety of WordPress sites.
- Answering technical questions from others on the team.
- Writing custom themes and plugins.
- Working with git to commit your code regularly.
- Communicating regularly with your team about task estimates and progress and identifying potential problems.
- Using documented user stories, technical requirements, data models, and process flows in your development work.
- Problem-solving, collaborating and asking questions proactively.
- Fostering an atmosphere of mutual respect with your team and on your projects.
- 3+ years of WordPress development experience or the equivalent.
- Experience working within an agency environment and with remote teams.
- Experience identifying and surfacing potential project issues.
- Passion for the web and open source development.
- Inclusive, supportive, and thoughtful interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with modern development tools and methods such as atomic and responsive design, gitflow, container-based environments, task runners, CSS preprocessors, IDEs, and CI/CD platforms
- Awareness of performance, security, and Unix server administration.
- Exposure to a variety of project management styles (waterfall, agile, scrum)
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related experience.
Fully Remote: Work where and when you do your best. It’s about feeling connected to others, having a flexible schedule and staying healthy.
Top Talent: Since we are not limited by walls, our ability to hire the best is limitless. Collaborate, learn and surround yourself with a strongly skilled and diverse team.
Travel: Love to see the world? So do we. Just find a place with good wifi, get connected and make great work happen!
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by those assigned to this classification. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by those occupying this position. The job description and job functions described herein are subject to possible modification by Kanopi Studios in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
ABOUT THE COMPENSATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS
This position is full-time. Salary and compensation are commensurate with experience. Not to worry. The pay is competitive and what you’d expect for this role. This is a 100% remote role, but you must live and be able to work in North America.
How To Apply:
If you think this post was written just for you, here’s what to do next:
- Submit your resume.
- Answer the questions you see here on this page.
- Send us a cover letter.
Now… About that cover letter… This is VERY important!
Please include all of the typical reasons why you’d be an outstanding candidate for this position, plus answer these two questions:
- Over the past year, what has been your most important achievement, either professional or personal?
- If you were a superhero (heck, maybe you already are!), what would be your superpower and why?
If we feel like you may well be the perfect candidate, we’ll contact you to set up a short phone screen to kick off the interview process. We’ll only contact those candidates that we feel are a good match. Sorry. That’s just the way it goes.
To Be Discussed
Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree
To Be Arranged
December 8, 2019
Job Application Via