- Job Title: Coding Specialist II
- Hiring Organization: University of Maryland Medical System
- Company Website: https://www.umms.org/
- Remote Locations: United States
- Job Type: Remote, Full-Time
Under direct supervision, the Coding Specialist II (Remote) ensures charges are coded appropriately from the medical record as necessary and are entered into the billing system accurately. May code medical records for surgical practices utilizing ICD-9/ICD-10-CM diagnosis and CPT-4 coding conventions Assigns specified codes to medical diagnoses with some coding of specific clinical procedures.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Deciphers operative reports and other physician medical record documentation to appropriately select codes and maximize charge capture. Ensures coding compliance with established standards and guidelines
- Acts as liaison between the clinical and billing departments. Answers questions from billing in a timely manner
- Responsible for ensuring quality, accuracy and timeliness of clinical data contained in patient’s medical record by reviewing and analyzing medical information provided by physicians for reimbursement, statistical and indexing purposes
- Meets established productivity and proficiency standards
- Attends coding seminars, hospital and departmental meetings as required or assigned. Actively participates in hospital educational in-services
- Utilizes appropriate customer relation skills to ensure all customers are treated with respect and dignity and that the confidentiality of their data is upheld,
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of medical record practices, state and federal laws relating to release of medical information.
- Working knowledge of CPC or CCS-P coding systems, medical terminology to understand diagnoses and procedures, and the content and organization of a medical record.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office software applications such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required.
- Ability to maintain a culture of excellent customer service, open and friendly staff relations and approachable demeanor with all levels of staff.
- Effective verbal and written communication and listening skills are required to interact with various individuals seeking accounting-related information.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required
- Certification as a CPC or CCS-P required.
- Three (3) years’ experience in production coding in a surgical setting or in a physician practice environment required.
- Outpatient professional fee revenue cycle management experience preferred
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
How To Apply:
Click “Apply” below to fill in the application form!
- Remote Job Location United States
- Salary Offer to be discussed
- Experience Level Mid Level
- Education Level High(Secondary) School Diploma
- Working Hours 8a-4p
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page