- Job Title Newsletter Editor
- Hiring Organization American Association for the Advancement of Science – AAAS
- Company Website https://www.aaas.org/
- Remote Locations US, UK
- Job Type e.g. Remote, Full-Time
We have an exciting opportunity for a Newsletter Editor to join the Science team. Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief of the Science family of journals, you will generate an accurate, compelling daily newsletter of news, research, and commentary published by the six Science family journals and beyond. This position requires a keen news sense, substantial science journalism experience, and facility with the sophisticated technical material published in scientific journals.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
We have offices in Washington, DC, and Cambridge, UK. Because the newsletter will be issued at 6AM EST in the US, the ideal location for the Newsletter Editor is in the Science International office in Cambridge, UK. Remote work from elsewhere in the UK is also an option. Alternatively, a US position, either in Washington, DC, or remote from select locations, may be considered. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding your eligibility.
The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is between $75,000 and $85,000 per year. AAAS currently provides the following benefits for this position: paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance, each subject to the terms of the applicable program. Additional benefits may apply.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time.
Equal Opportunity Employer
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
- Produce a daily newsletter consisting of short, vivid summaries highlighting content from the Science journals and outside news sources
- Collaborate closely with Science’s News and Insights teams to round up important items for inclusion in the newsletter
- Write short summaries yourself and edit drafts written by other staffers
- Solicit and edit periodic contributions from the editors to include as original commentary in the newsletter
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in journalism) and at least 3 years of experience in science journalism
- Knowledge of US and international science policy
- Deep interest in research advances across all fields
- Ability to write quickly and edit deftly to meet tight deadlines
- A flair for distilling a complex research finding or policy development into an accessible nugget
How To Apply
Submit a resume, cover letter, and writing samples by February 28, 2023. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
- Remote Job Location United States, UK
- Salary Offer $75,000 - $85,000 per year
- Experience Level Mid Level
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree
- Working Hours to be arranged (full time based )
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page