- Job Title Lead UX Designer
- Hiring Organization Wikimedia Foundation
- Company Website https://wikimediafoundation.org/about/
- Remote Locations Worldwide
- Job Type Remote, Contract
The Product design team at the Wikimedia Foundation provides design support to many product teams and initiatives in order to meet our annual and long-term goals. From September 2023 to March 2024, the team will have two of their three design managers out on parental leave. Their management duties will be covered by senior IC members of the team, but some of their design deliverables of these ICs will require the support of a Senior UX designer during these months.
Statement of Purpose
The Wikimedia Foundation’s Product Design team is looking for an experienced UX Designer to support other designers in the team on a temporary basis for a period of 6 months. This is a fully remote position with an initial 2 month trial period.
Scope of Work
The designer will work on a variety of different types of design tasks, defined by the needs of the product team and the Principal Designer they are supporting at the time. They will be required to join daily team meetings, conducted remotely, and share their design work with the design team for critique on a regular basis.
Specific deliverables and timelines for these deliverables will be defined by a Principal UX Designer at the start of the contract
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a remote-first organization with staff members including contractors based in more than 50 countries. Salaries at the Wikimedia Foundation are set in a way that is competitive, equitable, and consistent with our values and culture. The anticipated hourly pay range of this position for applicants based within the United States is US$60 per hour to US$93 per hour with multiple individualized factors, including cost of living in the location, being the determinants of the offered pay. For applicants located outside of the US, the pay range will be adjusted to the country of hire. We neither ask for nor take into consideration the salary history of applicants. The compensation for a successful applicant will be based on their skills, experience and location.
All applicants can reach out to their recruiter to understand more about the specific pay range for their location during the interview process.
- Reducing complexity to create simple, delightful experiences for our users.
- Creating prototypes and running experiments to iteratively test your hypotheses.
- Using and evolving our design system and guidelines, to create new features from ideas on paper to implementation.
- Applying accessibility standards and guidelines to your designs.
- Collaborating with designers, product managers and engineers to create product plans and maintain product design processes.
- Distilling complex concepts into easy to understand talking points to engage with our readers and communities throughout the design process.
- Can communicate their design goals and processes clearly and concisely to other team members and stakeholders.
- Provides constructive feedback to other designers and welcomes feedback from others.
- Experienced in conducting research, as well as collaborating with UX researchers, to build a deeper understanding of audience behaviours.
- Is able to generate ideas for the future as well as think tactically about how to deliver work in the present.
- Is self-motivated and seeks to evolve their skills and share what they’ve learnt with others.
- 5+ years of experience contributing on design teams and a Bachelor’s degree and/or Masters degree, or equivalent in related work experience
How To Apply
Click “Apply” below to fill in the application form!
- Remote Job Location Anywhere
- Salary Offer US$60 per hour
- Experience Level Senior Level
- Education Level Non Specific
- Working Hours freelance
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page