- Job Title Research Assistant
- Hiring Organization Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project – ACLED
- Company Website https://acleddata.com/
- Remote Locations Worldwide
- Job Type Remote, Part Time
The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a disaggregated data collection, analysis, and crisis mapping project. The ACLED team conducts analysis to describe, explore, and test conflict scenarios, and makes both data and analysis open for free use by the public. ACLED material is regularly used to inform journalism, academic research, and public discourse on conflict, and to support the work of practitioners and policymakers. ACLED is the highest quality and most widely used real-time data and analysis source on political violence and protest around the world.
This position is fully remote and can be done from any location with reliable internet service (GMT working hours preferred). The start date for this position is July 2023. This position reports to the President & CEO, based in GMT.
This position is open to nationals of any country. For more information, please review the Applicant FAQs. Please submit your salary range for consideration.
ACLED is recruiting a part-time (20 hours per week) Research Assistant to work directly with the Executive Team at ACLED, including its President & CEO.
The Research Assistant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Engage in research work, writing, and conducting data collection and analysis with the Executive Team;
- Prepare and execute quantitative analysis (including data cleaning, preparing data for analysis, etc.);
- Conduct literature reviews and desk research;
- Contribute to research articles;
- Produce data visualizations;
- Work closely with ACLED team members and support ways for the Executive Team to engage in analysis;
- Other ad hoc research and analysis support tasks and occasional administrative and coordination tasks when needed.
ACLED is seeking applicants who have the following skills and experience:
- Persons who are willing to be engaged in several simultaneous projects;
- Reliable with strong problem-solving skills, strong writing and editing skills, strong critical thinking and analysis skills, and an extremely high level of attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for engaging with team members and outside researchers;
- An advanced degree in a field with combined political, economic, and social network specializations and skills;
- Familiarity with the academic literature around conflict and political violence;
- Knowledge of statistical packages for conducting quantitative analysis;
- 3-5 years of experience manipulating large datasets and building and testing statistical models;
- Experience conducting desk-based research and literature reviews;
- Experience with Tableau software, creating engaging data visualizations (desired), and experience with spatial software and applications (e.g. Esri GIS suite, QGIS, Mapbox, etc.);
- Ability to work remotely and meet deadlines with limited supervision (experience working in a remote environment preferred);
- Fluency in English (essential);
- Access to a computer, a reliable internet connection, email, and the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Ability to work 20 hours a week.
How To Apply
Click “Apply” below to fill in the application form!
- Remote Job Location Anywhere
- Salary Offer to be discussed
- Experience Level Mid Level, Senior Level
- Education Level Non Specific
- Working Hours 20 hours a week
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page